[vtk-developers] Git hierarchy formalization

Wilson, Andrew T atwilso at sandia.gov
Wed Mar 31 17:20:40 EDT 2010

On 3/30/10 5:14 PM, "David Doria" <daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems to me for the git structure to work effectively a more formal
> hierarchy must be setup.

This raises the question of how changes are going to propagate into the
trunk.  Right now we've got a "push" workflow in place: I commit into the
trunk and everyone gets it on the next cvs update.  Then on the update after
*that* they get the #ifdef I forgot because Windows does everything
strangely.  Ahem.

Linux differs from this in that they had a "pull" workflow and a defined
hierarchy in place long before git and even bitkeeper.  I'm paraphrasing
loosely so please forgive a bit of inaccuracy.  Various people owned various
(large) parts of the tree.  Linus got patchsets from them.  They got
patchsets from people working for them and so on.

If we're going to have a hierarchy like that, how will we delineate areas of
responsibility?  How big should they be?

I take no position on whether it's something we should do except to agree
that it would be great to be better able to pull in changes and enhancements
from people who don't have write access to the trunk.

-- Andy