[vtk-developers] Rename vtkBoostBreadthFirstSearch?

Wylie, Brian bnwylie at sandia.gov
Mon Mar 29 17:34:18 EDT 2010

What you describe is exactly correct. But this filter and it's "brother" vtkBoostBreadthFirstSearchTree have names that reflect very specific implementations... namely the Boost Graph Library Breadth First Search algorithm (http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_42_0/libs/graph/doc/breadth_first_search.html)

vtkGraphDistanceFilter is a good suggestion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distance_(graph_theory) ) but isn't as specific for two reasons

1)      Doesn't communicate a 'seeded' algorithm

2)      Doesn't reflect the dependence on BGL.

I guess my preference would be to leave the name as it is... but I'm happy to open the topic up to the other developers that also worked on the BGL graph algorithms in Titan... perhaps there's some optimization we can do with all the names?  Any suggestions?

vtkBoostBiconnectedComponents<http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkBoostBiconnectedComponents.html>
vtkBoostBrandesCentrality<http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkBoostBrandesCentrality.html>
vtkBoostBreadthFirstSearch<http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkBoostBreadthFirstSearch.html>
vtkBoostBreadthFirstSearchTree<http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkBoostBreadthFirstSearchTree.html>