[vtk-developers] Charts in VTK and ParaView

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Tue Mar 9 14:46:19 EST 2010

Hey Marcus,

I'll attach my little python script that I've been using to try out the Charts stuff, but I'm not sure that it will be helpful to you because, even though I wrote it by translating TestLinePlot into Python, it uses an interator and a render window and isn't written as a python "test" (which I don't really know how to do...).

I'll bring up two issues I've run into, and then I promise I'll break it off into another thread in the future. :)

1. (I noticed this in ParaView, too.) On my machine CIRCLE marker style is drawn as a solid square rather than a circle. It looks like since you're using painter->DrawPoints(f,n) for drawing circles in vtkPlotLine, you must be relying on OpenGL vertices being circles? On my graphics card they get rendered as squares... Do you think it would be too confusing to call this one something else (like point or vertex) and make the circle marker paint option call DrawEllipse()?

2. It would be kind of nice to be able to control the width of the pen used to draw the markers, as well as the marker size (and it doesn't look like this would be too hard to expose).

3. (Sorry if this is ignorant since I've only looked at the code for a little while now) Are you sort of straddling two charting models right now? When I look at something like vtkPlotLine, it looks like a traditional "plot one hard coded shape for each point" model. When I look at vtkMark and vtkDataElement (as used in TestMarks.cxx) it looks like more of a Protovis type model (which I've only glanced at and not really used)... So, I guess I'm just curious whether you're still playing with which type of model to support, or might they both exist in the new API as it solidifies? (Or, maybe these things aren't as much two separate ways of working as I'm imagining.)

Thanks,
-Eric