[vtk-developers] Charts in VTK and ParaView

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Tue Mar 9 11:55:55 EST 2010

Hi Eric,

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Eric E. Monson <emonson at cs.duke.edu> wrote:

> Hey Marcus,
>
> Cool. I got it to work on my end, too and was able to run my translated
> version of TestLinePlot. I'll take a look at the changes you made and see if
> they match up with mine. I'll also let you know how all the charts stuff
> works for me once I play around a bit more.

That is great - if there are further changes I should make I would
appreciate you letting me know.

> The only thing I have found a bit awkward so far is getting zoomed back out
> to see all of my data once I have done a zoom in on a region of a plot
> (using the rubber band). If I then use the scroll wheel to zoom out, the
> plot keeps the same aspect ratio, which is sometimes quite distorted, and
> then I need to do another rubber-band zoom to try to get all the plots to
> re-fill the axes. The old charting I guess limited the scroll-wheel zoom out
> to the extent of the data on each axis, so once one dimension filled its
> axis range, the other would keep going until it filled it, too. This was
> probably fine, but I guess I'm used to Matlab where there is a separate zoom
> tool, and if you're using it you can double-click and it will do a reset of
> both axes to their natural ranges to show the whole data extent.

I would love to add a translated version of the test line plot to the Python
tests for the Charts module, if you are willing to contribute it I will add
it as an extra test. I was going to add a double click event that did just
what you suggested, but to my surprise could not find such an event in
vtkCommand... I would like a double click event, and a hover event. I would
also like to be able to change the cursor to convey some level of context.
If you have any pointers on any of these I would appreciate it. In ParaView
there is a button to zoom back out, but I agree having a mouse event would
be ideal.

> The other big thing I'm looking forward to is selections working with
> Charts. I have a big project just starting where seeing and making
> selections in charts will be important. I know you're working on it, but
> just be sure to let us know when it's up and running! :) (As an additional
> note on this, I kind of like how they did the new parallel coordinates view
> where there are separate interaction modes (or, I guess then call them
> "inspect modes") for manipulating axes and data selection.)

Yes, selection is an important area. I will certainly let you know once I
have this in a better state. I have some initial code in the line plots, but
it requires more work. I will add in the bits you spotted to the CMakeLists
and get it committed shortly.

> Thanks for the help and all the good work,

I really appreciate the feedback, and having another pair of eyes looking
over the Python wrapping is great.

Thanks,

Marcus

--