[vtk-developers] Is anyone actually building VTK with Tk 8.6 Cocoa on OS X 10.6???

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 17:38:06 EDT 2010

Hi Kent,

The Tk-8.5.7 that comes with OS X 10.6 is, in fact, a patched version
of Tk-8.5.7 that uses Cocoa.  So you don't have to download Tk-8.6
just to get Cocoa-Tk.

To use Tk, Cocoa, and VTK together all you should need is the following:
1) OS X 10.6
2) VTK 5.6 or later (this includes VTK-git)

Then set the following in CMake:
VTK_USE_COCOA=ON
VTK_WRAP_TCL=ON
CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES=x86_64

Even you need Tk-8.6b1 for some reason other than Cocoa, please try
building VTK against Tk in /System/Library first, because it is the Tk
that is being tested on the VTK OS X dashboards.

   David