[vtk-developers] Cleanup of crufty code in vtkPicker

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Tue Jan 5 11:26:20 EST 2010

David-

I believe that the idea behind invoking the PickEvent multiple times was so
that if you could perform multiple "operations" on each prop picked, for
example placing a bounding box, or changing the color of each picked prop,
etc. I realize that there is an alternative way by processing the pick list
after the end pick event is emitted. I guess I don't understand why you want
to change behavior, is there a compelling reason? Performance? I agree the
risk is small, but I'd rather not aggravate anybody if we can help it.

Will

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:13 PM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to do a little clean-up of vtkPicker so that the code and the
> header documentation are in better agreement with each other.  There
> is a chance that there could be some backwards compatibility problems,
> but I think that the risk is very small.  The interface of the class
> will not be changed.
>
> So, here is the main adjustment:
>
> Right now, the picker might invoke PickEvent for more than one prop
> during the pick, and I don't think that this is correct behavior.  I
> want to change the code so that the PickEvent is only invoked for the
> front-most prop under the cursor.  Any objections?  This change will
> not require modification to PointPicker or CellPicker, and should not
> require modification to any third-party subclasses, either.
>
>   David

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc.
28 Corporate Drive