[vtk-developers] vtkPlane non-static wrappers

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 08:37:15 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 8:19 AM, Will Schroeder
<will.schroeder at kitware.com>wrote:

> David-
>
> Looking at the code it seems that vtkPlane::IntersectWithLine assumes a
> unit normal.
>
> There are several ways to determine where code is being called/tested from.
> Grep works, admittedly brute force but effective. Or use a debugger and set
> a break point at a particular function to see where it is invoked. Fancier
> methods exist, I'll leave it to the better developers to describe.
>
> While I think it's great that you are considering adding tests, remember
> that every test takes time to run, meaning that the developer's time to make
> changes, test and check in code increases. Therefore we are optimally
> looking for a minimal set of tests (and minimal data) to cover the entire
> code base. Several years ago Ken Martin (and others of the community) went
> through the exercise of removing extraneous tests and data because it took
> way too long to run the test suite.
>
> Will

I agree that the tests should not be extraneous. However, introducing new
functions means introducing new tests, right?

The two possibilities are:

1) Find where vtkPlane is currently being tested and add tests for the new
functions there
2) add TestPlane.cxx

Were you saying that more testing code is time consuming? Or the number of
actual tests is what is time consuming? I.e. if (2) is chosen, is that
significantly worse than (1)?

Thanks,

David