[vtk-developers] VTK for OpenGL ES, eventually Android

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Sun Dec 19 14:12:19 EST 2010

Ethan-

There is definitely interest here at Kitware. Some of the developers have
made some forays in this direction. Our challenge of course is to find the
time and money to make this happen (contact me directly about funding),
let's see what the community thinks and see if some sort of plan emerges. I
personally would love to see this happen,

Thanks for expressing your interest, and hopefully starting the ball
rolling.

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Ethan Rublee <erublee at willowgarage.com>wrote:

> VTK devs,
>
> We at Willow Garage[*] are interested in using VTK on Android devices.
>
> We hacked on compiling it yesterday, but ran up
> against some difficult to #define fix errors related to VTK's use of OpenGL
> and Android's OpenGL ES 1.0 / 2.0 support.
>
> VTK is heavily used as a visualization engine for our PCL (Point Cloud
> Library) open source project: http://pointclouds.org
>
> If anyone has suggestions, or is interested in writing/collaborating on a
> port of VTK's rendering for OpenGL ES, or better yet Android, Willow Garage
> has funding for such an effort.
>
> A welcome artifact of this effort may be robust support of the Android NDK
> from CMake.
>
> Sincerely,
> Ethan Rublee
> Willow Garage
>
> [*] Willow Garage (www.willowgarage.com) is a team of experts in robot
> design, control, perception, machine learning, and software engineering,
> committed to build open source robotics software and hardware.

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065