[vtk-developers] VTK for OpenGL ES, eventually Android

Ethan Rublee erublee at willowgarage.com
Sun Dec 19 14:07:14 EST 2010

VTK devs,

We at Willow Garage[*] are interested in using VTK on Android devices.

We hacked on compiling it yesterday, but ran up
against some difficult to #define fix errors related to VTK's use of
OpenGL and Android's OpenGL ES 1.0 / 2.0 support.

VTK is heavily used as a visualization engine for our PCL (Point Cloud
Library) open source project: http://pointclouds.org

If anyone has suggestions, or is interested in writing/collaborating on
a port of VTK's rendering for OpenGL ES, or better yet Android, Willow
Garage has funding for such an effort.

A welcome artifact of this effort may be robust support of the Android
NDK from CMake.

Sincerely,
Ethan Rublee
Willow Garage

[*] Willow Garage (www.willowgarage.com) is a team of experts in robot
design, control, perception, machine learning, and software engineering,
committed to build open source robotics software and hardware.