[vtk-developers] Git Merge commit declined

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Sun Aug 22 15:44:13 EDT 2010

If you compare the two approaches it does not save you very much,

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>wrote:

> To avoid unnecessary bureaucracy,  I think there are times one should
> not have to go through the the topic stage. Have we adopted branchy
> workflow? ITK has not yet done so.
>
> For example, it I want to fix a bug I might as suggested here:
> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITKContribute
>
> 1. git fetch origin
> 2. git checkout master
> 3. git branch BUG0011074
> 4. git checkout BUG0011074
> 5.      vim CMakeLists.txt   # Edit to change the version number
> 6. git add CMakeLists.txt
> 7. git commit
> 8. git checkout master
> 9. git merge BUG0011074
> 10. git push origin
> 11. git branch -d BUG0011074
>
> 8. git push stage HEAD
9. ssh git at vtk.org stage VTK merge BUG0011074
10. git checkout master
11. git pull
12. git branch -d BUG0011074

For Titan, there is a git alias I created that can automate more of this.
You can also condense the earlier lines,

1. git fetch origin
2. git checkout checkout -b BUG0011074 origin/master
skip through to step 5.

The stage allows us to control the types of merge commits people can make,
preventing the accidental merge commits like the one you made from being
pushed into VTK's history.

Thanks,

Marcus