[vtk-developers] splitting vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter into 2 classes

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Mon Aug 2 16:39:17 EDT 2010

I totally am with you on this, especially refactoring the class to break out
the normal estimation. Renaming the class is problematic though, since Bill
L. is still around with his golf clubs and I don't want to be struck with a
nine iron :-) But maybe we can wait for winter ;-) or come up with a
transition plan across multiple releases.

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Arnaud GELAS
<arnaud_gelas at hms.harvard.edu>wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
> For a very long time the class vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter has been
> executing two different processes into the same class (as described in the
> Hoppe et al's paper):
>
>    1. Estimate normal given a point set
>    2. Reconstruct an implicit function from this point set with the
>    associated normals.
>
> However, there are many new surface reconstruction methods out there that
> out perform this method, but the normal estimation technique remains as one
> of the most effective technique.
>
> Most of the user/developer who use surface reconstruction technique ended
> reimplementing the normal estimation technique (e.g. as David Doria did in
> one his VTK journal paper), or some other split the
> vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter into 2 classes (as we do in our group for the
> development of gofigure2).
>

>    - Would it be possible to extract the normal estimation from this
>    class?
>
> You can have a look at
>
> http://github.com/arnaudgelas/gofigure2/blob/master/trunk/Code/ExternalCode/PoissonReconstruction/vtkNormalEstimationFilter.h
>
> http://github.com/arnaudgelas/gofigure2/blob/master/trunk/Code/ExternalCode/PoissonReconstruction/vtkNormalEstimationFilter.cxx
>

>    - Would it be possible to rename the vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter?
>    This method is not the only method for surface reconstruction and is
>    nowadays more popular for its drawbacks/failures than some more recent
>    methods (such as Poisson reconstruction technique see Doria and Gelas VTK
>    Journal on the topic...).
>

> Thanks in advance for considering this change,
> Best Regards,
> Arnaud

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc.