[vtk-developers] splitting vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter into 2 classes

Arnaud GELAS arnaud_gelas at hms.harvard.edu
Mon Aug 2 16:29:30 EDT 2010

  Hi all,

For a very long time the class vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter has been
executing two different processes into the same class (as described in
the Hoppe et al's paper):

   1. Estimate normal given a point set
   2. Reconstruct an implicit function from this point set with the
      associated normals.

However, there are many new surface reconstruction methods out there
that out perform this method, but the normal estimation technique
remains as one of the most effective technique.

Most of the user/developer who use surface reconstruction technique
ended reimplementing the normal estimation technique (e.g. as David
Doria did in one his VTK journal paper), or some other split the
vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter into 2 classes (as we do in our group for
the development of gofigure2).

    * Would it be possible to extract the normal estimation from this class?

You can have a look at
http://github.com/arnaudgelas/gofigure2/blob/master/trunk/Code/ExternalCode/PoissonReconstruction/vtkNormalEstimationFilter.h
http://github.com/arnaudgelas/gofigure2/blob/master/trunk/Code/ExternalCode/PoissonReconstruction/vtkNormalEstimationFilter.cxx

    * Would it be possible to rename the vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter?
      This method is not the only method for surface reconstruction and
      is nowadays more popular for its drawbacks/failures than some more
      recent methods (such as Poisson reconstruction technique see Doria
      and Gelas VTK Journal on the topic...).

Thanks in advance for considering this change,
Best Regards,
Arnaud