[vtk-developers] git stupid question #4

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Apr 30 12:20:07 EDT 2010

Biddiscombe, John A. wrote:
> $ git add -- (files)
> $ git commit
>
> I think I may have missed the "--" in git add after editing conflicts. Would this have made a big difference. I probably did
> $ git add (files)
> $ git commit

That's fine.  The "--" just says "treat all names after this as files,
not as options even if they look like options".  You usually don't need
it.

> CONFLICT (rename/rename): Rename "Qt/Components/pqPVThresholdPanel.cxx"->"Qt/Testing/pqTabBarEventPlayer.cxx" in branch "HEAD"
>                           rename "Qt/Components/pqPVThresholdPanel.cxx"->"Qt/Components/pqIsoVolumePanel.cxx" in "Merge kitware master branch into CSCS"
> CONFLICT (rename/rename): Rename "Qt/Components/pqPVThresholdPanel.h"->"Qt/Widgets/pqWaitCursor.h" in branch "HEAD"
>                           rename "Qt/Components/pqPVThresholdPanel.h"->"Qt/Core/pqViewModuleInterface.cxx" in "Merge kitware master branch into CSCS"

These happen because a file you copied and modified as renamed
upstream.  Git infers renames and copies based on content, and
the license block at the top of these files is so big that it
dominates the content statistics so it thinks many new files
are copies of existing ones.  In a sense it is right...did you
type the whole license block by hand in every file or copy it
from another one?

Were these the same conflicts you got during the merge?
It would help alot if you could show the conflicts reported
by the first merge, and then show the conflicts reported by
the second merge.

-Brad