[vtk-developers] PCoords rectangles slow in Python w/lots of axes

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Thu Apr 22 17:13:17 EDT 2010

Hey Marcus,

Not something urgent, but just a note so you know: When making selections in a parallel coordinates chart that has a lot of axes (say 16 or 24) in Python, the drawing of the red selection rectangle is fairly slow. It's still useable, but it's quite noticeably slower than when I have a lot of axes in ParaView (which is quite snappy). The leading edge of the rectangle lags behind the cursor, and then eventually catches up.

I'm not sure why this would be -- something about the drawing operation or some checks it has to do after each mouse move... I only mention it because if you know about it maybe something will jump out at you in the code that could be done differently.

I know I still haven't gotten around to filing those other feature requests... I can add this if you want, too, and attach an example script.

Talk to you later,
-Eric