[vtk-developers] [vtkusers] CVS->Git Transition Plan

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Apr 19 13:07:32 EDT 2010

Bill Lorensen wrote:
> For instance, where is the Patented directory. If was moved to the
> attic a long time ago. I don't see it through the web browser.

You can see it if you go back to a version that had it, such as
the v4.2.6 tag:

http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=tree;h=refs/tags/v4.2.6;hb=refs/tags/v4.2.6

Git is also pretty smart about following the content of files
through history.  For example, try blaming vtkMarchingCubes.cxx:

 $ git blame -M -C -C -w Graphics/vtkMarchingCubes.cxx

The "-M -C -C" flags say "try really hard to trace the history
of content copied or moved among files".  You'll get lines that
originated in

  Graphics/vtkMarchingCubes.cxx
  Patented/vtkMarchingCubes.cxx
  src/vtkMarchingCubes.cc