[vtk-developers] VTK-carbon on OS X 10.6

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 16:07:48 EDT 2009

I'm experiencing some difficulties with VTK 5.4 with the newest
version of OS X, specifically with VTK_USE_CARBON.  The cocoa and x11
builds seem to work fine, but I need carbon for the vtkTkRenderWidget.

My build options are straightforward:
CMAKE_C_FLAGS = -m32
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS = -m32
VTK_USE_CARBON = ON
VTK_WRAP_PYTHON = ON
VTK_WRAP_TCL = ON

The first problem is a compile problem, vtkTkRenderWidget.cxx
complains about needing "OpaqueGrafPtr *" instead of "void *", but
adding a typecast made the problem go away.

The more serious problems occur at runtime.  When I ran "make test",
all the windows were displayed without decorations (i.e. no title
bar).  Furthermore, when I tried using vtkTkRenderWidget, the
vtkRenderWindow would not bind to the Widget.  I'd get a blank Widget
from tk, and a separate vtkRenderWindow sitting underneath.

Has anyone else been using carbon with VTK on OS X 10.6?  I never used
10.5, so I don't know if these issues are new.

    David