[vtk-developers] VTK-carbon on OS X 10.6

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue Sep 22 16:50:41 EDT 2009

On 9/22/09 2:07 PM, David Gobbi said:

>I'm experiencing some difficulties with VTK 5.4 with the newest
>version of OS X, specifically with VTK_USE_CARBON.  The cocoa and x11
>builds seem to work fine, but I need carbon for the vtkTkRenderWidget.
>
>My build options are straightforward:
>CMAKE_C_FLAGS = -m32
>CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS = -m32

Those are unusual.  Are you trying to tell it to build 32 bit?  If so,
you should use '-arch i386'.

>VTK_USE_CARBON = ON
>VTK_WRAP_PYTHON = ON
>VTK_WRAP_TCL = ON
>
>The first problem is a compile problem, vtkTkRenderWidget.cxx
>complains about needing "OpaqueGrafPtr *" instead of "void *", but
>adding a typecast made the problem go away.

Which line?

>The more serious problems occur at runtime.  When I ran "make test",
>all the windows were displayed without decorations (i.e. no title
>bar).  Furthermore, when I tried using vtkTkRenderWidget, the
>vtkRenderWindow would not bind to the Widget.  I'd get a blank Widget
>from tk, and a separate vtkRenderWindow sitting underneath.
>
>Has anyone else been using carbon with VTK on OS X 10.6?  I never used
>10.5, so I don't know if these issues are new.

I haven't.  But I know the Tcl/Tk version included in 10.6 is newer than
in 10.5.

cd /System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions

drwxr-xr-x  11 root  wheel  374  4 Sep 11:20 8.4
drwxr-xr-x  11 root  wheel  374  4 Sep 11:20 8.5
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel    3 14 Aug 10:00 Current -> 8.5

and on 10.5:

drwxr-xr-x  9 root  wheel  306 16 Sep 16:28 8.4
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    3  6 Dec  2008 Current -> 8.4

Forgive my ignorance, I know next to nothing of Tcl/Tk... does
vtkTkRenderWidget only support Carbon and not Cocoa?  Why do you need to
build VTK using Carbon?

Anyway, perhaps you can try linking to the 8.4 version (on 10.6) and see
if that changes something.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com