[vtk-developers] Fwd: vtkOFFReader / VTK archive system

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 17:54:41 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Dean Inglis <dean.inglis at camris.ca> wrote:
> I think a combination of the first two options could
> be a good vehicle.  As for journal submissions, I
> envision submitting an optional write-up or sample screen
> captures of how the contributer makes use of their
> class.  I think maintenance and support by the development
> community would be beneficial. AFAIK CDash makes
> provision for the third option already.
>
> Dean Inglis
> www.camris.ca

I think a couple of repos that don't have such tight restrictions on
write access are exactly what are needed - something like a sandbox.
Then people who don't have core write access can at least have a
reasonable place to put code that can be easily accessed/used by
others while it is "work in progress". I'm not sure if I see the
reason for two layers of this (a "contrib" repo and a sandbox, as Berk
mentioned)?

I really do support the "short article" idea for
documentation/motivation of new code. Rather than pick through in-code
documentation, a clear "totally in english + graphics" type thing to
look at is often nice - particularly for higher level developers who
may want to move the code into the core. From my understanding, this
is exactly what the Insight Journal is used for in ITK. However, the
"download a zip file of the code" is very awkward - so I think this
combination of Jounal + Repo is a great plan.

As for modularizing - internet connections and hard drives are
big/fast enough these days that I think it would be more annoying than
helpful to split the download. Disabling parts through CMake could be
nice though, but it would have to be VERY clearly stated somewhere
what you need to enable for which functionalities.

David