[vtk-developers] VTK CVS head to require Qt 4.5.0 or later from16 November

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Mon Nov 16 15:23:01 EST 2009

On Monday 16 November 2009 15:13:21 Olesen, Mark wrote:
> > > components. If VTK is built with Qt support it will require version
> > > 4.5.0 or later. This is in part to simplify the code in the Qt
> > > components, and also to simplify licensing as this is the earliest LGPL
> > > version of Qt.
>
> Hi Marcus,
>
> If I understand this correctly would this also mean that VTK could start
>  including Takuya OSHIMA's reworked OpenFOAM reader instead of the original
>  (by Terry Jordan), which is currently broken and apparently orphaned?
>
> AFAIK the only issue that spoke against Takuya's version was that he has
>  some Qt code that previously made part of the reader GPL instead of BSD
>  only. Presumably this point is moot with the switch to Qt 4.5.

I am not familiar with the reader you mention, but in terms of licensing
issues my understanding is that anyone can now contribute changes to the Qt
code and the code will remain BSD licensed, as long as they have done that
development with Qt 4.5.0 or later.

Hopefully others with more direct experience of this issue will answer this
question too.

Marcus
--
Marcus D. Hanwell, Ph.D.