[vtk-developers] [Paraview] Improving vtkDataArraySelection ... and a question of the general philosophy

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Tue Nov 10 08:41:44 EST 2009

It seems that this might apply more to ParaView than I originally suspected.

I've modified my usage of vtkDataArraySelection to use vtkDataArraySelection::SetArraysWithDefault(const char *const * ...), which is a fairly roundabout means of adding new items to a list without this->Modified() being called. I've double checked and indeed the MTime() remains unchanged.

However, to get the reader GUI updated in paraview, I need to call UpdateInformationProperty(...) with the corresponding property. When this happens, the GUI view of the vtkDataArraySelection gets adjusted appropriately, but unfortunately the reader panel also gets touched as modified (ie, the 'Apply' button lights up green). As far as I can see, the GUI changes are spurious since nothing has changed in the underlying selection except that the list of available part selections is now a bit longer than before.
Using the 'Reset' button to undo the GUI changes seems to confirm my suspicions - the list properly retains its new length and GUI selections are unchanged.

Why is the panel getting marked as modified and is there a reasonable workaround?

Thanks,

/mark