[vtk-developers] License: Qt stuff in VTK

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Wed Mar 18 11:18:18 EDT 2009

Yes, you can. The only issue we had was related to the use of
templates in Qt, which tends to confuse things when it comes to LGPL.
Nokia has the following LGPL exception that resolves this.

Nokia Qt LGPL Exception version 1.0

As a special exception to the GNU Lesser General Public License
version 2.1, the object code form of a "work that uses the Library"
may incorporate material from a header file that is part of the
Library.  You may distribute such object code under terms of your
choice, provided that the incorporated material (i) does not exceed
more than 5% of the total size of the Library; and (ii) is limited to
numerical parameters, data structure layouts, accessors, macros,
inline functions and templates.

However, let's wait a bit longer before opening the flood gates. The
right thing to do is for VTK to require 4.5 as those developing with
the LGPL version will not be able to test with previous versions. We
are not ready for requiring 4.5, I don't think.

-berk