[vtk-developers] STL in VTK Header Files

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Jun 10 19:51:46 EDT 2009

On 6/10/09 10:10 AM, David Thompson said:

>The
>current guidelines (which actually aren't in the coding standards but
>instead in the FAQ) do call out compile time as one reason for the
>restriction but they do not mention the fact that Windows doesn't allow
>STL objects to be passed across library boundaries.

Passing STL objects across library boundaries has other problems.  Only
recently was the C++ ABI standardised and many compilers to not (fully)
conform to it.  That means that if you build the VTK libs with compiler
X and you build an app that uses them with compiler Y it might not
link.  And that's on any OS.  gcc has the -Wabi warning to catch some
such problems.  (As a library, VTK probably should compile cleanly with
that warning on, but I forget if it does.)

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com