[vtk-developers] [vtkusers] STL in VTK Header Files

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 13:28:20 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 10:42 PM, Dave Partyka<dave.partyka at kitware.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> A new CVS commit check has been added to prevent commits of VTK header files
> that contain STL includes. Exceptions can be added by contacting myself or
> Brad King.
> I also want to give a friendly reminder that the VTK coding standards (VTK
> has coding standards???) provide guidelines for using STL in VTK and require
> that STL not be used in header files. See the following for more information
> or feel free to ask me if you have any questions.
> VTK Coding Standards:
> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_Coding_Standards
> VTK FAQ regarding STL
> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ#Can_I_use_STL_with_VTK.3F

As a side note, I think this FAQ is completely obsolete. At least it
does not reflect current VTK CVS, since the integration of kwsys,
where now it is recommended to do:

#include <vtksys/ios/sstream>

instead of

#include <vtkstd/sstream>

kwsys provide -among other things- a fallback implementation for *stringstream.

Ref:
$ grep -r vtksys * | grep "/ios\|/stl" | wc
    330     716   21935

2cts
--
Mathieu