[vtk-developers] Improvement in vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Fri Jul 24 16:32:13 EDT 2009

FYI,

I added the option (initially off) to use compressed texture (if
supported by the hardware) to vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D (with a new
ivar UseCompressedTexture).
It gives ugly but faster result (up to 4x faster).

I also changed the implementation to avoid resizing the 3D texture to
power of two (if supported by the hardware). It is a major speed-up.
In my configuration (nVidia Quadro FX 3600M), I get the speed-up
factor I could have with UseCompressedTexture without the ugly result.

Files added/changed:

"ENH:Added optional use of texture compression (fast but ugly result),
covered by a new regression test. ENH: if non-power-of-two texture is
supported, don't resize the volume, the speed-up is more obsvious than
the one about compressed texture. BUG: Fixed mismatch number of
components in texture loading. BUG:Fixed totally wrong logic in
IsTextureSizeSupported()."

/cvsroot/ParaView3/ParaView3/VTK/VolumeRendering/vtkOpenGLVolumeTextureMapper3D.cxx,v
 <--  vtkOpenGLVolumeTextureMapper3D.cxx
/cvsroot/ParaView3/ParaView3/VTK/VolumeRendering/vtkOpenGLVolumeTextureMapper3D.h,v
 <--  vtkOpenGLVolumeTextureMapper3D.h
/cvsroot/ParaView3/ParaView3/VTK/VolumeRendering/vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D.cxx,v
 <--  vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D.cxx
/cvsroot/ParaView3/ParaView3/VTK/VolumeRendering/vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D.h,v
 <--  vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D.h
/cvsroot/ParaView3/ParaView3/VTK/VolumeRendering/Testing/Tcl/CMakeLists.txt,v
 <--  Testing/Tcl/CMakeLists.txt
/cvsroot/ParaView3/ParaView3/VTK/VolumeRendering/Testing/Tcl/volTM3DCompressedCropRegions.tcl,v
 <--  Testing/Tcl/volTM3DCompressedCropRegions.tcl
initial revision: 1.1

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive