[vtk-developers] Failing Test: TestDescriptiveStatistics needs attention

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu Dec 31 10:16:55 EST 2009

On Thursday 31 December 2009 00:57:29 Pebay, Philippe P wrote:
> Hello all
>
> Thanks Dave for having disabled the test. Yes, I have indeed been off
>  e-mail for the past few days and will return into that mode starting
>  tomorrow.
>
> I had become aware of that problem last week, and sent a "help" message to
>  the infovis list, for I have not been able to replicate the bug on any of
>  my platforms. Therefore, all feedback from someone who can replicate the
>  issue on his platform will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

I had a quick look at this yesterday as I can reproduce it here. The m2
variable is zero, so m22 is zero and so it triggers the divide by zero
exception. You could check for m2 being zero - what would you want the result
to be in the case that m2 was zero? The line in question,

VTK/Infovis/vtkDescriptiveStatistics.cxx:536

Also, what platform are you on? I have been working with Francois to extend
the range of platforms that can have divide by zero enabled for testing
purposes. As far as I know it should work on Linux and Windows. I haven't been
able to check, but the way I enabled it on Linux should work with recent GCC
versions on other platforms.

Hope that helps.

Marcus

<david.cole at kitware.com<mailto:david.cole at kitware.com>> wrote:
> > It might be better to just leave it failing, back out the change or fix
> > it yourself... Disabling a test is a bad idea because nobody has an
> > impetus to re-enable the test in the future.
> > We can wait for a fix. Or if "we" can't then "we" can fix it ourselves...
> >

> > On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Dave Partyka
> > <dave.partyka at kitware.com<mailto:dave.partyka at kitware.com>>
> >
> > wrote:
> >> Hi Bill,
> >>
> >> I emailed Philippe the day this broke but have not heard back from him.
> >> I typically don't cc the vtk list when sending a rubber chicken to those
> >> who break the dashboard ;-). I suspect he is gone for the holidays so I
> >> will just disable this test for the time being.
> >>
> >> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Bill Lorensen
> >> <bill.lorensen at gmail.com<mailto:bill.lorensen at gmail.com>>

Marcus D. Hanwell, Ph.D.
R&D Engineer, Kitware Inc.
(518) 881-4937