[vtk-developers] Dependency issue with examples

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Tue Dec 29 11:19:38 EST 2009

Hello,

On my working copy of VTK, I modified VTK/Common/vtkContourValues.h to
fix some conversion warning.

Everything compiles correctly except that an example using
vtkContourValues does not rebuild when it should, hence I have a link
error:

Linking CXX executable ../../../bin/HierarchicalBoxPipeline
CMakeFiles/HierarchicalBoxPipeline.dir/HierarchicalBoxPipeline.o: In
function `vtkContourFilter::SetValue(int, double)':
/home/fbertel/projects/development/ParaView3/VTK/Graphics/vtkContourFilter.h:180:
undefined reference to `vtkContourValues::SetValue(int, double)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Why is the dependency not generated automatically? Isn't cmake
generated dependencies automatically from the include files, as gcc -M
or -MM would do for make?

The example is:
VTK/Examples/AMR/Cxx/HierarchicalBoxPipeline.cxx

which includes "vtkContourFilter.h" (in VTK/Graphics), which itself
includes vtkContourValues.h

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive