[vtk-developers] cvs suggestion

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu Dec 24 13:27:07 EST 2009

During what hours would you recommend emitting such a message? I don't think
this is necessarily a good idea.

The dashboard is *always* open. Anything committed to CVS will show up on a
dashboard eventually. But if you commit at 8:01 pm, you have to wait till
the following night's update step to pick up that change...

The nightly start time is defined in one place : the CTestConfig.cmake file.
It's just up to all developers working on a project to learn and be aware of
details like these.

Feel free to document it in the appropriate place on the Wiki if you feel so
inclined. But the real data point is the CTestConfig.file checked into the
repository itself. (Data duplication is just as bad as code duplication in
my opinion, so this should only be listed in the one place...)

The guideline you should be following is found on this page:
http://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_cvs_commit_Guidelines

The recommendation is not to commit stuff after noon unless there's a very
good reason for it -- get into the habit of saving your afternoon work and
then committing the next morning.

HTH,
David C.

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 11:47 AM, David Doria
<daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com<daviddoria%2Bvtk at gmail.com>