[vtk-developers] Is there a memory limit for vtkImageData and orvtkUnsignedshortArray

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 12:23:02 EST 2009

Hi Oliver,

There are no hidden memory limits in VTK, but the vtkImageData object
will always allocate the whole image as one contiguous block of
memory.  On Win32 systems this is a problem, because Win32 suffers
from memory fragmentation, i.e. if it has been a long time since your
last reboot then even if there is a lot of memory available, it is
only available in relatively small chunks.

Sometimes just rebooting will solve the problem.  Or you can move to a
system that doesn't suffer so badly from memory fragmentation, like
64-bit WinXP.  I also seem to remember reading somewhere that Windows
7 has reduced memory fragmentation.

   David