[vtk-developers] VTK 5-4-0 compatibility

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Tue Apr 28 10:09:52 EDT 2009

There are some API changes from VTK 5.2 to 5.4... Although there are not
many, I would still say the current dylib compatibility settings are
correct. The 5.4 dylibs cannot be loaded by a program built against 5.2 and
work flawlessly.

Some VTK 5.4 API changes are explicitly listed here:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_5.4_Release_Planning

And I would guess there are a handful of others that are simply not listed
anywhere, but would take source code analysis to uncover...

The dylib properties are set by the code in VTK's CMakeLists.txt that looks
like this:

# Append the library version information to the library target
# properties.  A parent project may set its own properties and/or may
# block this.
IF(NOT VTK_NO_LIBRARY_VERSION)
  SET(VTK_LIBRARY_PROPERTIES ${VTK_LIBRARY_PROPERTIES}
    VERSION "${VTK_VERSION}"
    SOVERSION "${VTK_MAJOR_VERSION}.${VTK_MINOR_VERSION}"
    )
ENDIF(NOT VTK_NO_LIBRARY_VERSION)

The library VERSION property is the source of the dylib versions...

HTH,
David