[vtk-developers] Bug in vtkMapper

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Sun Oct 5 16:26:01 EDT 2008

Hi Prabhu,

Go for it.

If you apply your patch please add a new test to VTK based on your
test case (that would break without your patch).
That's the only way we can be sure that if somebody touch to vtkMapper
in the future, it will not break this case.

Regards.

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Prabhu Ramachandran
<prabhu at aero.iitb.ac.in> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found a bug in vtkMapper.cxx.  I have a test case and fix that I will
> check in but I thought I'd mention the bug here and get consent before I
> check in.
>
> The vtkMapper::MapScalars(double alpha) sets the lookup table's Alpha ivar
> to alpha and does not reset the lookup table's Alpha back to what it
> originally was.  This is a bug and manifests itself nicely when you have a
> translucent actor along with an ImagePlaneWidget say and they share a LUT.
>  The IPW will incorrectly and mysteriously acquire the alpha of the actor
> because of this.
>
> The bug is also present in vtkMapper::MapScalarsToTexture which I will also
> fix.
>
> Please let me know if this is not a bug and I'm missing something.  If no
> one objects I'll check in a test case for this and a fix as well. Thanks.
>
> cheers,
> prabhu

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive