[vtk-developers] TCL Wrapping driving me insane -- SYNTAX ERROR -- can you be more specific?

Tue Mar 25 12:59:43 EDT 2008

So how do you debug problems where the VTK wrapping generator gives
you the dread SYNTAX ERROR found message?

I know the more common issues -- VTK wrapping is confused by
templates, typedefs etc etc.  But the following header says 'SYNTAX
ERROR ... before line 9 ***' and I can't for the life of me figure out
what the problem is.

There are no syntax errors as far as the C++ compiler is oncerned, I
can compile the C++ file for this this class so the header is fine by
GCC.

I realize that writing proper error handling for a Yacc parser is a
pain in the butt, but I sure wish the VTK wrapping parser could be a
teensy bit more specific.

Here's the header file that won't work:
#if !defined(BTPropertyDialog_h)
#define BTPropertyDialog_h
#include <vtkKWDialog.h>

class vtkProperty;
class vtkKWSurfacePropertyWidget;
class vtkObject;

class BTPropertyDialog : public vtkKWDialog
{
public:
  static BTPropertyDialog *New();
  vtkTypeRevisionMacro(BTPropertyDialog,vtkKWTopLevel);
  void SetProperty(vtkProperty *prop);
  void SetPropertyChangedCommand(vtkObject *object,const char *method);
  void SetPropertyChangingCommand(vtkObject *object,const char *method);
protected:
  BTPropertyDialog();
  ~BTPropertyDialog();
  virtual void CreateWidget();