[vtk-developers] vtkfreetype update

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Fri Jul 18 14:41:06 EDT 2008

On 7/18/08 2:21 PM, Sebastien BARRE said:

>>Does anybody have a strong opinion either way -- what's more important:
>>
>>   (1) getting the security fixes into VTK?
>>       or
>>   (2) maintaining pixel-perfect-fidelity of rendered text?
>
>If it ain't broke, dont' fix it.

Agreed.  But define "broke". :)

>Each time we update it, we risk of
>losing any specific patch that was made for VTK (hopefully not that
>many lately, usually only fixes to the freetype build process).

I've commented all the VTK-specific patches (grep VTK_FREETYPE_CHANGE).
There aren't that many.  When I previously updated VTK's freetype, I
sent changes upstream, and they got incorporated into freetype CVS.

>The bug entry is not clear about what the problem is with respect to VTK.

There is none, except for the fact that there are security fixes.

>My gut feeling is that libs in Utilities/ should only be updated when
>a major feature is needed, or a really big bug.

I guess my school of thought is to, in general, keep 3rd party code
current.  It's easier to keep in sync one dot-release at a time, vs
syncing a huge change in the future.

On 7/18/08 2:28 PM, David Cole said:

>Sean, let's resolve this bug as "won't fix" for now.

Agreed.  Though maybe Werner will have some new feedback...

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com