[vtk-developers] VtkEncodeString and friends when cross-compiling

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 16:49:27 EST 2008

Hum... for some reason no one is answering. I guess this is holiday season.

This is completely integrated (work done by Alexander Neundorf while
working for kitware). See
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/CMake_Cross_Compiling

In particular:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/CMake_Cross_Compiling#Using_executables_in_the_build_created_during_the_build

2cts

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Wilson, Andrew T <atwilso at sandia.gov> wrote:
> I'm working on building VTK and friends under Catamount using
> cross-compilation.  I've tripped and fallen on the fact that most of the
> little helper programs like ProcessShader, vtkEncodeString and vtkmkg3states
> are not built when cross-compiling.
>
> It seems like the Right Thing would be to have them built using the native
> environment.  This is complicated by having the toolchain redefined for the
> cross-compile target -- we may not have an easy way to find out what the
> native build environment even is.
>
> As a compromise, I've patched my CMakeLists to introduce variables like
> VTK_NATIVE_ENCODESTRINGS_EXE when cross-compiling in order to force the user
> (i.e. me) to provide runnable versions of those helper programs.  It works
> but I'm not at all sure that it's the best solution.
>
> Does this affect anyone else out there?  What's the right thing to do?  Am I
> overlooking an obvious option that does exactly what I want?
>
> -- Andy

Mathieu