[vtk-developers] VtkEncodeString and friends when cross-compiling

Wilson, Andrew T atwilso at sandia.gov
Wed Dec 17 11:17:23 EST 2008

I'm working on building VTK and friends under Catamount using
cross-compilation.  I've tripped and fallen on the fact that most of the
little helper programs like ProcessShader, vtkEncodeString and vtkmkg3states
are not built when cross-compiling.

It seems like the Right Thing would be to have them built using the native
environment.  This is complicated by having the toolchain redefined for the
cross-compile target -- we may not have an easy way to find out what the
native build environment even is.

As a compromise, I've patched my CMakeLists to introduce variables like
VTK_NATIVE_ENCODESTRINGS_EXE when cross-compiling in order to force the user
(i.e. me) to provide runnable versions of those helper programs.  It works
but I'm not at all sure that it's the best solution.

Does this affect anyone else out there?  What's the right thing to do?  Am I
overlooking an obvious option that does exactly what I want?

-- Andy