[vtk-developers] Exporter bugs

Gerrick Bivins gbivins at objectreservoir.com
Thu Aug 7 10:54:20 EDT 2008

Hello,
I ran across a couple of bugs with the following Exporters in the vtk 5.2
branch while trying to export my scenes in from my vtk application:
VRML Exporter:
  1) Exported file won¹t load in Paraview or most other VRML viewers.If it
is succesful, only the last *Set is read in. The problem is that there needs
to be one *Set per Shape node.
  2) Exported file doesn¹t take into consideration actor¹s visibility so all
actors are exported even if they aren¹t visible in the render window.
I have fixed both of these.

In trying to verify some of these bugs by exporting to obj and reading in
the file, I ran into these bugs:
OBJExporter
  1) Exported file doesn¹t take into consideration actor¹s visibility so all
actors are exported even if they aren¹t visible in the render window.
  2) Exporter file only uses Actors color rather than the mappers scalars
for coloring (color by vertex).
  3) Exported file doesn¹t use transparency. This is because the variable
set for transparency is named incorrectly as ³Tf² should be ³Tr² according
to specs.
  4) Exported file¹s transparency is inverse of vtkProperty opacity value
(1.0-opacity). Should just be opacity.

I have fixed 1,2 and 4 in my local build. 3 seems like it will be a little
more complicated so it may take some time

Eventually, I¹d like to use x3D (or some other embeddable format UCD maybe)
so I gave that a shot but ran into another issue:

X3DExporter
  1)Exported file is unloadable in external viewers. I¹m not familiar enough
with X3D format yet to debug this one.

My question is, has anyone run into these issues or are the Exporters not
used that much? Also, how do I go about submitting the fixes I have so far,
patch, whole files, submission list? Not sure on this one.
I¹ve read these links:
http://vtk.org/contribute.php
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_Coding_Standards
But submission information seems to be missing.

Gerrick