[vtk-developers] question about PYTHON_LIBRARY dir. name

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 09:57:12 EDT 2007

Salut Donna,

  Please post VTK user question on vtk-users mailing, you'll easier
get much more answer this way, trust me.

  Even if your installation is a bit exotic, there is not need to
manually move lib around. In your case you did not enter the correct
information for cmake, you need to specify something like this:

         PYTHON_LIBRARY = /u2/donna/local/python/lib/python2.5/libpython2.5.so
         PYTHON_INCLUDE_PATH = /u2/donna/local/python/include/python2.5

the PYTHON_LIBRARY is supposed to be a filepath to the actual python
library, and not the directory containing the shared/static lib.

 For more info:

$ cmake --help-module FindPythonLibs

  will display what is actually done by cmake.

HTH
-Mathieu

On 9/4/07, Donna Calhoun <calhoun at amath.washington.edu> wrote:
> Dear VTK developers :
>
> I am building VTK for the first time, for use with PYTHON, and ran into the
> following problem.
>
> I set the following two PYTHON paths (both as env. variables and in the
> 'advanced options' in ccmake :
>
>          PYTHON_LIBRARY = /u2/donna/local/python/lib/python2.5
>          PYTHON_INCLUDE_PATH = /u2/donna/local/python/include/python2.5
>
> (The added "python2.5" was the way my installation of python set things up).
>
> Upon generating the code (using 'g' in ccmake), I got several warnings telling
> me that the python library path would be ignored because it expected a library
> name (e.g. 'lib', I assume) or a full path to a file name.  Ignoring the
> warnings and trying to build VTK quickly failed, since it couldn't find
> Python.h, for example.
>
> Finally, I moved all the files from python/lib/python2.5 directly to
> python/lib, and although ccmake still generated the warnings, I am now able to
> build VTK
>
> The file CMakeCache.txt now contains
> //Path to a file.
> PYTHON_INCLUDE_PATH:PATH=/u2/donna/local/python/include/python2.5
>
> //Path to a library.
> PYTHON_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/u2/donna/local/python/lib
>
> Is there somethhing special about the LIBRARY path name that doesn't seem to
> apply to the INCLUDE path name?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Donna

> Donna CALHOUN
> Laboratoire d'Etudes des Transferts et de Mecanique des Fluides
> CEA Saclay
> DANS/DM2S/SFME/LTMF
> F-91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex
> France