[vtk-developers] VTK CVS broken: vtkInformationExecutivePortVectorKey and vtkExecutive link error in Debug only

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Oct 22 13:59:28 EDT 2007

David C Thompson wrote:
> Brad et al.,
>
> Things appear to work now except for the mingw build:
> http://www.vtk.org/Testing/Sites/dash14.kitware/Win32-mingw/20071022-0300-Nightly/BuildError.html
> Does anyone familiar with ming recognize these errors? When I look at
> them, it appears that the VTK_*_EXPORT macros are working as expected
> (i.e., when vtkFiltering is being compiled, members implemented in
> vtkCommon are marked dllimport and members implemented in vtkFiltering
> are marked dllexport). But the compiler doesn't appear to like the
> dllimport marks.

Its because that is a *definition* line, not a *declaration* line.  It
does not make sense to import a symbol you are defining.  I think you
can just remove the export macros from the inline methods.  Since those
are added by the type macro in the worst case you can replace the macro
with explicit code.

We should also consider marking all the methods defined in
Filtering/vtkInformation.cxx as legacy (and remove all calls to them in
VTK).  Then we can remove them after the next release and get rid of
this problem.

Thanks for your persistence,
-Brad