[vtk-developers] Fwd: About constructing a 3D geographical surface

Soeren Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 11 05:37:48 EDT 2007

Hi John,
i dont know java so i can only provide some C++ code snips.
But i guess you can do something like this:

double x, y, z, value;
vtkIdList *ids = vtkIdList::New();
vtkPoints *points = vtkPoints::New();
vtkDoubleArray *values = vtkDoubleArray::New();
values->SetNumberOfTuples(NumberOfPointsInDataset);
values->SetNumberOfComponents(1);
values->SetName("resistivity");

for(i = 0; i < NumberOfPointsInDataset; i++)
{
  // Read your data into x, y and z coordiantes
  points->InsertPoint(i, x, y, z);

  //Read your resistivity values
  values->InsertValue(i, value);

  //Create point ids for the cells
  ids->InsertNextId(i);
}

// Build PolyData
vtkPolyData *poly = vtkPolyData::New();
poly->Allocate(NumberOfPointsInDataset);
poly->SetPoints(points);
points->Delete();
poly->GetPointData()->SetScalars(values);
values->Delete();

//Now build the cells. You can build triangles if you know the order
//of your points. If you dont know the order than just create a PolyVertex
cell to render the points in VTK
//use the delaunay triangulator: to triangluate the data

poly->InsertNextCell(VTK_POLY_VERTEX, ids);
ids->Delete();
poly->Sqeeze();

//Now use the delaunay triangulator to triangulate the poly data set
vtkDelaunay2d ....

//The code is untested and without any warranty :)

//END