Fwd: [vtk-developers] About constructing a 3D geographical surface

Soeren Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 11 04:38:50 EDT 2007

Hi John,
just an idea. If you have geographical data which you want to visualize with
vtk
than try the combination of the gis grass and paraview. There are many
options
in grass to get your x,y,z ascii data into it. You can process the data
there and export it with the grass module r.out.vtk into the vtk format to
visualize
the data with paraview, visit or mayavi.

Or you can build in java a poly dataset with x,y,z point coordinates
connected with triangles to
each other and store the resistivity values in an point data double array.
If you have
an ordered point set the triangulation should be no problem.
AFAIC you have to import the data with your own program. There is no
x,y,z,value import module in vtk. But im not sure.

Best regards
soeren

Link to grass:
grass.itc.it

Link to some grass/vtk modules and related stuff:
www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/grass/modules<http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/%7Esoeren/grass/modules>