[vtk-developers] A heads up about Temporal classes

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Fri May 18 06:02:35 EDT 2007

You may safely ignore this email, but I just thought I'd send a quick
heads up about a few changes I made. Below is the CVS log for
TemporalInterpolator

And I also committed some fixes to ParticleTracer last week. Things are
working quite smoothly for me now, so if anyone did want to try out the
particle tracer. In principle, it should work. Particles no longer
disappear etc and most bugs are fixed (NB most, not al)

The interesting part about the CVS commit I just made to interpolator is
that I tried changing the algorithm type to vtkDataObjectAlgorithm as
discussed (off list) around IEEE paper writing time and it worked ok. We
may therefore consider that vtkTemporalDataSetAlgorithm is actually only
necessary for special cases where we specifically want to export a
vtkTemporalDataSet. The Cache/Interpolator/other classes could be simple
DataObjectAlgorithms and all is well. An Advanced reader which can 'do
hyperslabs' in time might benefit from being temporal. As discussed,
using DataObjectAlgorithm is preferable to TemporalAlgorithm because
then filters downstream can do type checking directly on the data
(SetInputPortInformation actually) rather than having to know what is
'inside'  a collection of temporal objects at execution time.

JB

CVS log
BUG: There was a nasty bug in the interpolator caused by using
CopyStructure, and then setting the points with a new interpolated data
array - this caused the points in the original data to be overwritten
since the vtkPoints object was shallow copied from the first input. This
is now fixed
ENH: Add a new Discrete mode of operation so that one can request
interpolated data at particular steps. This is so that we can simulate a
discrete time provider using interpolated values from some other
provider. Some filters will not want inputs with continuous time, so we
canmuse this discrete mode.
ENH:I've added a whole bunch of commented out code temporarily as I've
been experimenting with changing the algorithm type from
vtkTemporalDataSetAlgorithm to just vtkDataObjectAlgorithm and allowing
the executive to do all the time/temporal management. It works as
expected, but I'm going to leave it alone for a couple of weeks until
I've investigated a couple of other temporal issues.

--
John Biddiscombe,                            email:biddisco @ cscs.ch
http://www.cscs.ch/about/BJohn.php