[vtk-developers] minimum intensity projection technique

Alberto García Consuegra algarcon at gmail.com
Wed May 16 10:18:08 EDT 2007

Hi all.
I´m developing an application wich represents a set of slices using diferent
techniques, such as Volume Rendering, Surface Rendering (Using
contourFiltering), Maximum Intensity Projection(using
vtkVolumeRayCastMIPFunction) and Multiplanar Reconstruction(using
vtkImagePlaneWidget), but I need to use one more technique, called Minimum
Intensity Projection, the approach is the same employed in Maximum Intensity
Projection but getting voxels values with minimum intensity instead of
voxels values with maximum intensity of the projection ray. Taking a look to
vtkVolumeRayCastMIPFunction source code it was easy to modify it an adapt it
to Minimum Intensity Projection. I write the appropiate changes I wish you
considere to add them to a new version of VTK.I send you a diff file with
these changes. I think you should put a fuction where user can decide what
technique he want to use(like in volume rendering when you decide if you
want to interpolate first or classify first, or in volumeRayCastMIP when you
can maximize scalar values or opacity). As an example Maximum Intensity
option, Minimun Intensity option may be considered, other method wich
calculates the mean of voxel projection, or the sum (if you calculate the
sum of voxels you can obtain a simulated X-Ray Image, median, or standard
deviation). I try to do it myself but I need to do a Java Binding and it is
very problematic creating a C++ class and then doing the Java binding. I
provide you the proposed changes, would you create it in newer releases of
VTK in C++?, then I could compile the new version for using it with a Java
binding.
Thanks you a lot.