[vtk-developers] Mac OS X Universal Binary support, defining VTK_WORDS_BIGENDIAN

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Jan 29 17:55:06 EST 2007

Hi all, me again, :)

In an effort to improve VTK's support of Mac OS X Universal Binaries
(bug 3059), I'd like to change the following in 'vtkConfigure.h.in' from:

#cmakedefine VTK_WORDS_BIGENDIAN

to:

#if defined(__BIG_ENDIAN__)
# define VTK_WORDS_BIGENDIAN
#elif defined(__LITTLE_ENDIAN__)
# undef VTK_WORDS_BIGENDIAN
#else
#cmakedefine VTK_WORDS_BIGENDIAN
#endif

All Mac OS X compilers (and I believe gcc on any platform) defines
either __BIG_ENDIAN__ or __LITTLE_ENDIAN__ to match the endianness of
the architecture being compiled for.  This way, the result of the
TRY_RUN testing the endianess of the building machine will be ignored.

I daren't change such an important file without asking here.  Of course
I have tested on my Macs, but not on other platforms.

Thanks,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com