[vtk-developers] Guidance needed fixing problems doing 64bit compile on Mac OS X

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Fri Jan 26 11:26:43 EST 2007

It's always best to eliminate warnings at their source. (If you don't,
they'll eventually come back again later...)

For "3rd party" warnings in VTK, it's probably best to update to a newer
version of that code base if there's one that eliminates those warnings and
is stable enough for general use. Making that assessment is usually the hard
part, especially given the wide variety of platforms/compilers VTK covers.

If warnings can't be eliminated like that, consider eliminating them in
VTK's copy of the source. Then nobody has to see them anymore, but they
might come back later if we do update to a newer version of that lib.

Lastly, warnings can be masked out of dashboard results, via
VTK/CMake/CTestCustom.ctest.in, but we try to do that only when there's no
other option. Because even if you mask them out like that, folks building
interactively are still going to see those warnings.

Helpful? I hope...
David