[vtk-developers] TestOpacity failing on Mac dashboards and memory corruption

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Fri Feb 2 18:58:41 EST 2007

At Kitware, I just updated krondor, midworld and dashmacmini2. Let's see how it goes with the nightly dashboard tomorrow for the malloc stuff on midworld.

For iMac with an ATI Radeon X1600 and driver version 2.0 ATI-1.4.40, I now force skipping depth peeling and always use alpha blending instead:

http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Rendering/vtkOpenGLRenderer.cxx.diff?cvsroot=VTK&r1=1.61&r2=1.62

In general, to know the GPU of a dashboard machine, it is useful to look at the output of test LoadOpenGLExtension. It gives the value of

GL_VENDOR, GL_VERSION and GL_RENDERER and the list of supported OpenGL extensions.

For instance:

http://www.vtk.org/Testing/Sites/iMac_intel.SINTEF/Darwin-c++/20070202-0300-Nightly/Results/__Rendering_Testing_Cxx_LoadOpenGLExtension.html

Regards.

Sean McBride wrote:
> On 2007-02-02 09:24, David Cole said:
>
>> TestOpacity was failing on several machines recently. As far as I know,
>> every one of them has been resolved by upgrading the video drivers on the
>> machines.
>
> All of our dashboard machines are fully up to date driver-wise, so I'll
> assume its a bug Apple is unaware of, and will log it with them.
>
> We see the test fail on G5's with ATI Radeon 9600 XT and Intel iMacs
> with ATI Radeon X1600, but pass on the G4 with an nVidea GeForce 2MX.
>
> Glen, TestOpacity also fails on stout.atami, what model is it?
>
> It also fails on "SINTEF. Health. MedTech-MacPro. Xeon. OSX" and
> "iMac_intel. SINTEF".  Anyone here know what model GPUs they have?
>
>> I don't know if I can get to it today, but if this is still pending next
>> week, I can run your malloc stuff on midworld and report back here...
>
> Seems like this malloc error is unrelated to TestOpacity, still it would
> be great if you could try it out.  It's low hanging fruit. :)
>
> Thanks,

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive