[vtk-developers] Geocoordinate System Filter, 2D Text Manager, 2D Text Preformance, and Buffered Hardware Picking

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 18:39:13 EST 2007

It may be a good idea but will involve a lot of work.

Are you using Moldensky transforms or Readfern for Lat/Long to UTM? Also for
ECEF (Earth-centered fixed Cartesian coordinates) to Lat/Long you may like
to look at K.M.Borkowski's work. He found a closed form solution. Also UTM
to Lat/Long needs to handle the exceptions near Norway and and to handle
coordinates near the edges of the grid.

You will most likley need to also do inverse and forward transforms using
Vincenty's equations.

Remember to be applicable inVTK iit needs to be world wide and there are
meny coordinate systems out there. So you will need the classes to be
extensible.

You will also need to specify the accuracy of the transforms.

Andrew

Andrew J. P. Maclean
Centre for Autonomous Systems
The Rose Street Building J04