[vtk-developers] Information visualization data structures

Tim Tautges tjtautg at sandia.gov
Thu Jul 20 14:47:36 EDT 2006

I've been working with the Terascale Simulation Tools & Technologies
(TSTT) DOE SciDAC project, and as part of that, have helped develop a
data model for mesh data.  One of the things that has proven extremely
powerful in our data model is the ability to define arbitrary sets of
entities (including other sets), and also to define parent/child
relationships between sets.  Essentially, this allows sets to be nodes
in an arbitrary directed graph.  Using this construct, I've been able to
embed, in just the mesh definition, the geometric model topology from
which a mesh was generated, a processor partition (and partition
interfaces) for parallel FE, and groupings of elements defining the dual
of a hexahedral mesh.  I'm also in the process of implementing an OBB
tree using this data model.  Having the ability to browse these graphs
in paraview is something I've wanted for some time (so, that's a little
different from visualizing the graphs themselves, but also very useful).

I think if you allowed for the possibility of your nodes to be sets, and
to allow the contents of those sets to be data from various other
datasets in the model, you'd have a much more powerful capability.  I
think vtkExtractCell is a good start at a set capability; having your
graph nodes derive from that, adding parent/child links, would give you
what you needed (an undirected graph could simply use the parent links
only, or wouldn't distinguish parent from child links).

Again, this is slightly different from what you're proposing, in that
the data is still mesh-type data, but there are graph(s) embedded in
those data too.  It might be possible to represent both types of graphs
with the same data structure, which would be easier to maintain and more
broadly applicable.

- tim