[vtk-developers] Problem with VTK on Compaq SC45/OSF1

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Thu Feb 23 15:13:33 EST 2006

At 12:01 PM 2/23/2006, Randall Hand wrote:
>I've been working on this for 2 days, and I'm running out of ideas.  I can compile VTK just fine on our SC45, no errors at all, using cxx/cc and Shared libraries.  I can compile applications that use these freshly compiled VTK libraries just fine, with no errors.
>
>But every time I try to run them I get the following error:
>emerald0> ./vtk2xml
>resolve_symbols: loader error: dlopen: libvtkVolumeRendering.so: symbol "__array_new2" unresolved

Have you sniffed around the system with nm, strings, and grep to find out if/where __array_new2 is
defined?

>I've tried compiling them as static, and while they compile just fine, when apps try to link against them I get errors about no table of contents on every single .a file.  Anyone have any idea what's going on here?\

Sounds like ranlib is not being run.

>  I'm using Cmake 2.0p6, as there are no binaries provided for 2.2.3 and the bootstrap won't work

Why won't 2.2.3 bootstrap?  What errors are you getting?  I would recommend building cmake,
and running its tests, because if they are not working, then VTK most likely will not work.

We used to have OSF dashboards, but the contributors stopped submitting them.
I am not surprised that it is not working.   If you have access to one of these
machines, and would like VTK/CMake to work on it, I can help you, but in return I would
request that you set up a dashboard and submit nightly.  Otherwise, it is a waste of time, since
it will be broken a few months from now with some other problem.

-Bill