[vtk-developers] python install prefix in setup.py

Steve M. Robbins steven.robbins at videotron.ca
Wed Feb 1 14:10:23 EST 2006

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 01:15:30PM -0500, David Gobbi wrote:
> Hi Steve, I though you were a Java guy ;)

Sure but I'm multi-lingual ;-)

> You're right, using the python "prefix" might be too simplistic.  I know
> that
> redhat/suse/mandrake use /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages and I assumed that
> other distros would do the same.

Debian's idiom is that /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages is for
vendor-packaged python extensions, whereas
/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages is for the the sysadmin to
install python packages.  I thought that was standard, but I may be
mistaken -- I don't use python all that often.

> There is probably a way to query the distutils module for the right path.

Ah, yeah.  That sounds promising.

-Steve