[vtk-developers] python install prefix in setup.py

Steve M. Robbins steven.robbins at videotron.ca
Wed Feb 1 13:05:01 EST 2006

Hi,

I realize that discussion has moved to a bug report.  However; one
cannot add a comment without "logging in" and I'm too lazy, so here is
my comment.

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 11:45:46AM -0500, David Gobbi wrote:
> The default install location for the VTK python wrappers in VTKcvs
> doesn't make sense to me.
> If the VTK install prefix is /usr/local, then the python wrappers will
> be installed here:
>
>  /usr/local/python2.3/site-packages/
>
> If python is installed somewhere else, (e.g. /usr/ is a common location)
> then installing the wrappers in /usr/local isn't very useful.

On the other hand: a system (Debian, for example) may come with python
installed in /usr but use /usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages as
the preferred location to install non-vendor python packages.

I think this location is the preferred default.  Is there a way to
query python for this?

-Steve