[vtk-developers] VTK tickles compiler bug for Altix, gcc 3.3.3

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Aug 1 14:57:24 EDT 2006

Hank Childs wrote:
> I ran into an issue recently where there appeared to be a bug in the VTK
> library, but I believe was actually a compiler bug.  I don't really have a
> good fix (I believe it is good VTK code).  Regardless, I am reporting it to
> this list in case others encounter it.
>
> This is for Altix using g++ 3.3.3.
>
> I found that when serializing a data set and writing it to a socket, the
> reader was crashing.  After a lot of digging, I found that the vtkByteSwap
> module was producing garbage the first time it was invoked.  I am speculating
> that there was some sort of hazard.

Did you build with some kind of optimization enabled?  Try building with

  make VERBOSE=1 >make.log 2>&1

and look for the build line that compiles vtkByteSwap.cxx.  Does it have
optimization flags?  If you manually cut-and-paste that compile line and
replace/add the optimization flags to be -O0 and rebuild does it work?

-Brad